How to create a custom text field
Custom text fields can be used to upload additional information that is not already being collected by the default fields, such as business street address, years working in the company etc. Each project is limited to 10 text fields, in addition to pre-existing Fixed and Identification fields (e.g. Type, First Name, Last Name etc.). To read more about when it’s best to use a custom text field over a multiple choice field, click here.
Custom text fields include the following types: short, medium, and long text, country, website and social media. Text fields vary in size, however, have no character limit. The size (short, medium and long) refers to the size of the textbox provided on a registration form or when updating a profile in-app
To create a custom text field
- Navigate to Project Configuration > Profiles from the Navigation Menu
- Navigate to Customisable fields and click +
- Fill out the following information:
- Name: This will be the title of your profile field and what attendees will see within their in-app profiles.
- Key: The key acts as a unique identifier for each profile field within the Core backend. A key is required for each profile field and must be unique per project, contain no spaces and cannot start with a number.
Note: Once a key has been set it should not be changed as this will affect element features that refer to the field e.g smart redirects and tracking rules.
- Type: This is the type of response gathered for a given profile field. Short or long text, social media, location and multiple choice responses are all available options. Note: a maximum of 10 custom fields are allowed for short or long text, location or social media responses. However, you may utilise as many multiple choice custom fields without limitation.
- Required: Setting a profile field to required refers to whether or not a response is necessary for the field. This will means that the field will need to be set to mandatory when placed into a registration form.
- User Access: If set to hidden, attendees will be unable to edit or see their personal field/s within their in-app profile. If set to visible, they will be able to view the field and their response. If set to editable, they will be able to view the field and alter their response freely at any time. As this option is separate to Profile Visibility, other attendees viewing attendee profiles will not be restricted by the changes made to this option.
- Profile Visibility: If set to hidden, attendees will be unable to view this field on other attendees' profiles. If however, it is set to visible, attendees will be able to see the field and response provided.
- Click Save